Monday, August 8, 2011

Are Men Necessary?

Borrowing from the title of Maureen Dowd's recent work, today's blog entry attempts to explore the age old question of the battle of the sexes. Ms. Dowd's text explores the birth and death of feminism in terms any football aficionado could appreciate.

I have been struggling with these issues myself. As I age (I am at the ripe old age of 28) I cannot help but reevaluate the trajectory of my life. Once a Phi Beta Kappa member and now a graduate school drop out in the name of social justice and bohemian ideals I find my feminist self rebelling at my life choices. Wasn't I supposed to be a powerful academic breaking through walls in the field of history all in the name of feminism?

Dowd's work suggests that it is our generation of women, not the baby boomers, who are to fault for the death of feminism. Here we sit comfortably in our middle class lives choosing to oppose the corporate rat race, or worse- choosing marriage, instead of forging down career paths fighting for gender equality in the office.

I cannot help but be moved by her arguments, but yet as I think of the women who have worked long hours to start their own Etsy businesses, many of them graduate school drop outs, I find some solice in the idea that perhaps this resistance to the male led and controlled corporate system may be the new breed of feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment